Historical Marker #2457 in Lincoln County commemorates the history of the Stanford Female College, which provided local young women, as well as those from other towns and states, a college education.
The Stanford Female Seminary was incorporated by the Kentucky Legislature on February 26, 1869, but the name was changed to the Stanford Female College in 1871. Its founders were John B. Owsley, S.H. Shanks, J.W. Alcorn, M.C. Saufley, John Reid, and H.S. Withers. These men and others organized themselves into a joint stock company to raise the necessary funds to build the school. While Christian in nature, Stanford Female College was one of the few educational institutions in Kentucky which was not under the control of a religious denomination. It was managed by eight trustees, who could fill their own vacancies.